Stressed Out? Stop, Look, and Listen—to Yourself
It’s a messy world out there, and trying to keep your life in order can feel like a serious juggling act. Stress can deeply disrupt your overall health if it spirals out of control. It can make you overweight, depressed, physically ill, and contribute to the development of nasty habits like substance abuse.
Recognize the signs of stress before they hit:
- Feeling “on edge,” like you are about to explode
- No patience with the people around you
- Muscle tension
- Easily startled
- Cracking joints, biting nails and other tension-relief habits
- A change in eating and/or sleeping habits
- More emotional than usual
- Using drugs, alcohol, or junk food to escape your feelings
Okay, okay, so everyone gets stressed sometimes. But knowing how to find your inner peace can make you truly powerful.
Try some of these relaxation techniques to help keep your health and sanity.
- Breathe deeply from your belly, focusing on your breath.
- Stretch each morning to get your blood flowing.
- Practice yoga to move your body and quiet your mind.
- Before you go to sleep, take a hot bath, drink a cup of decaf tea, or read a book.
- Exercise regularly. It really helps!
- Keep your bed made and your room tidy. Your mind is a product of your environment!
- Make a practice of sitting in silence with yourself for 5 minutes each day. Simply listen to your thoughts—don’t judge!
Remember never take a medication while you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant without checking with your health care provider.